African Journal of Library and Information Science
About this Journal
Aims and Scope
African Journal of Library and Information Science ISSN 2756-3383 is a peer-reviewed open access journal covering all aspects of library and information science. The aims of the journal include the following:
- To publish articles that will educate the professionals who will lead us through the information age: librarians, information and knowledge managers, archivists, and digital-content managers. As the nature and form of information evolves and becomes more complex with each passing year, the education of its managers becomes increasingly vital.
- To publish high profile articles that will reflect the rapid upswing in library, information and computer sciences. In view of this, we ensure that the works we publish prepare our teeming readers to meet the challenges of traditional and emerging information/technology fields and address leading-edge topics, including social media networks, digital learning environments and human information behavior.
- To serve as the central hub for computer science and information science activities. The journal provides comprehensive coverage of computing and informatics and collaborative connections across a range of academic disciplines to address the opportunities and challenges of the information age.
- To publish research that will contribute to theory and practice along dimensions that include technical, human, organizational, policy, and societal considerations. This broad perspective positions the journal to address the complex, multi-disciplinary problems that are increasingly common as society becomes more dependent on information technology.
- To publish articles by leading computing and information science experts, that will prepare students for careers on the leading edge of technology. The journal welcomes articles in computer science, computing and security technology, data science, information systems, software engineering, health informatics, information systems, library and information science, national security management, software engineering, human centered computing etc.
- To publish research that will impart the skills of organizing, disseminating, managing and preserving information; use of information technologies and the role of information technology in facilitating information management; articles that will demonstrate a commitment to the philosophy, principles and legal and ethical responsibilities of the field; capable of serving information seekers in a global society; appreciate education and service as integral to the role of the information professional in society; interpret and apply research results from library and information science and related fields; articulate the economic, political, cultural and social importance of the information profession; dedicated to professional growth, continuous learning and application of new knowledge to improve information systems and services to meet the needs of information users in society etc.
- To publish works that will educate our readers in the effective use of new media resources.
- To publish research that will educate highly competent, ethical librarians and other information professionals.
- To serve the field of librarianship by publishing works that will educate students about information literacy, IT competency and research skills
- To publish high quality works that will produce innovative leaders who have high professional ethics, excellent knowledge of the theory and practice of LIS and technical expertise.
- To publish papers that will explore, advance the frontiers of knowledge and practice of library and information science, integrate innovative technology to enrich teaching, foster scholarship and advance professional librarianship practice.
All articles published by this journal are made freely and permanently accessible online immediately upon publication, without subscription charges or registration barriers.
Also, authors of articles published in this journal are the copyright holders of their articles and have granted to any third party, in advance and in perpetuity, the right to use, reproduce or disseminate articles.
African Journal of Library and Information Science levies an article-processing charge of $500 (USD) for each article accepted for publication. The journal does not charge a submission fee. Authors are required to pay the manuscript handling fee only after their manuscripts have been reviewed and accepted for publication by an editor. Authors can request a waiver or discount during the submission process as the journal routinely waive charges for authors from low-income countries.
ISJ offsets publication expenses – including the cost of peer review management, journal production, and online hosting and archiving – by charging an Article Processing Charge (APC), to authors, institutions or funders for each article published. This publication fees vary by journal and are payable upon article acceptance.
Peer-review is the system used by African Journal of Library and Information Science to assess the quality of a manuscript before it is published. Qualified researchers in the relevant research area assess submitted manuscripts for originality, validity and significance to help editors determine whether the manuscript should be published or not.
African Journal of Library and Information Science operates a double-blind peer-review system, where the reviewers of the paper won't get to know the identity of the author(s), and the author(s) won't get to know the identity of the reviewer. The advantage of double-blind peer review is that it eliminates bias.
Manuscripts submitted to this journal will generally be reviewed by two or more experts who will be required to evaluate whether the manuscript is scientifically sound and coherent, whether it duplicates already published work, and whether or not the manuscript is sufficiently clear for publication. The Editors will reach a decision based on these reports and, where necessary, they will consult with members of the Editorial Board.
International Scholars Journals (ISJ) is a member of the Committee on Publication Ethics (COPE) and abides by its Code of Conduct and aims to adhere to its Best Practice Guidelines.
All journals published by ISJ are committed to publishing only innovative and original material i.e., material that has neither been published elsewhere, nor is it under consideration for publication by another publisher.
Benefits of publishing in this journal
At ISJ, we continue to work hard to support our authors who trust us with their works. Here are just some of the benefits we provide:
- Open Access: Our research is freely available to all, from the time of publication. Readers do not need a subscription or to register before they can access our articles.
- High visibility: ISJ allows maximum visibility of articles published in the journal as they are available to the widest possible scientific outreach, including to the general public.
- Rapid publication: The timeframe between acceptance and publication is about 3 weeks. All ISJ journals offer a fast publication schedule.
- Rigorous peer-review: ISJ is operated by a team of experienced professional editors. We work closely with academic editors and reviewers to provide authors with an efficient, fair, and constructive reviews.
- Post-publication comments: ISJ allows readers and authors to exchange ideas that are directly accessible from the full-text article.
- International readership: All articles are being accessed from over 200 countries worldwide.
- Promotion and press coverage: Articles published in this journal are included in article alerts and regular email updates.
- Access and reach: We continue to submit our journals to all known abstracting and indexing services.
- Flexibility: ISJ journals gives you the opportunity to publish at your convenience.
- Copyright: Authors retain the copyright to their works. Authors are allowed unlimited use and/or distribution of their work without any form of restriction. As an author of an article published in any ISJ journal, you retain the copyright of your article and you are free to reproduce and disseminate your work.
To subscribe for an article published by any of our journals, kindly contact firstname.lastname@example.org. The subscription rate is $350 and it is the same for all countries. The subscription charges are inclusive of delivery charges. All journals are open access and subscribers shall receive the print edition.