African Journal of Gender and Women Studies
African Journal of Gender and Women Studies ISSN 2736-1578 Vol. 6 (1), pp. 001-007, January, 2021. © International Scholars Journals
Full length Research Paper
Evaluation of gender, personality and self-assessed intelligence
*Tomas Chamorro-Premuzic and Adrian Furnham
*Department of Psychology, Goldsmiths College, University of London.
Department of Psychology, University College London.
Accepted 21 November, 2020
This paper examines the extent to which self-assessed intelligence (SAI) may be a function of personality traits, gender, and “actual” intellectual ability (as measured through psychometric g ) in a sample of 188 (119 female) UK university students. Participants completed three cognitive ability tests and the “Big Five” personality inventory after estimating their own multiple intelligences. Psychometric g (extracted from the three ability test scores) was a significant predictor of SAI (extracted from self-assessed multiple intelligences), accounting for 10% of the variance. When personality was added to the regression model, the percentage of variance explained increased to 22%, whilst gender accounted for an additional 7% (total = 29%). Emotional Stability (rather than Neuroticism) and Extraversion (rather than Introversion) were associated with higher SAI. Theoretical implications with regard to the taxonomic position of SAI, and practical implications with regard to educational and occupational assessment and performance are discussed.
Keywords: self-assessed intelligence, personality traits, psychometric intelligence, gender.
List of Other Journals
[Abstract][Full Article - PDF][Download Full Article - PDF]Search Pubmed for articles by:*Tomas Chamorro-Premuzic Adrian FurnhamSearch Google Scholar for articles by:*Tomas Chamorro-Premuzic Adrian FurnhamPreferencesRelated ArticlesEmail this Article to a friendPrint this ArticleArticle Access Statistics
PDF Downloaded 127